Re: Turn off selection coloring

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Turn off selection coloring
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 20:33:44 +0200

Hi Harry!

> I took to mean the behavior you were talking about was new since the
> coloring of region became default.

I think, that's the case.

> So I thought you were suggesting some new kinds of behavior related to
> region.
>
> Sorry to have caused more work for you.

I'm happy to help.

> It appears that setting (transient-mark-mode -1) doesn't prevent
> ispell-region from working.  Or other region based actions like
> killing a region etc.

No, all region commands work as usual.  But with an *active* (colored)
region, ispell-word (not ispell-region) spell-checks the whole region,
not only the word at point.  With that feature, you only need to
remember one keybinding/command, and emacs does what you want.

> One thing I do miss with (transient-mark-mode -1) set is the coloring
> when selecting a region with the mouse.

Hm, here it does colorize it.  Did you forget to delete your
customization on the region face (in case you did that)?

> Was there a time when setting mark and scrolling did NOT colorize the
> region but selection with mouse did?

Yes, emacs 22 did so.  And emacs 23 should do so with
transient-mark-mode off.

> Or more cogently... is there a way to do that now.  Stop region
> colorizing when done from the keyboard but allow it when selected with
> mouse?

Yep, as I said.

> I also seem to recall a time when the colorizing of a region could be
> invoked with a double mark set before scrolling, but was not on by
> default... Is that still a possibility

Well, now I'm pretty sure that you removed the background color from the
region face. ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo