Indentation settings problems

From: TriKri
Subject: Indentation settings problems
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 03:46:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi. I'm having some trouble getting the size of the indentation right. I'm
writing a .cpp-file, but I guess the indentation will work in about the same
way as for a .c-file. I'm running windows (more specifically windows 7), and
I've just installed GNU Emacs 23.1.1. The indentation is 2 spaces right now.
I prefer a tab instead (with tab width 4), or possibly 4 spaces if tab is
not possible. Here is what I've tried: I enter the options, go to
Editing->Indent, where I find that the variable "Standard Indent" is set to
4. I get 2 spaces when I indent, why not 4? Okay I get 2 spaces, so how do I
change it? I have also tried changing "C Basic Offset" in
Programming->Languages->C to "Override style settings: 4", but that doesn't
work either. It's still indenting with 2 spaces.

So, I would prefer 4 spaces instead of 2, or even better, a tab, and having
the tab width set to 4 (how I now can change the tab width) so someone else
with another text editor can apply another indentation size on my code by
simply setting the tab width in their editor. Can someone tell me how to
change this? And I'm an Emacs newbie, so you will have to tell me exactly
which variables to change and how to change them.

Thanks in advance

-Kristofer