Re: Copying text from emacs to another application using M-w

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Copying text from emacs to another application using M-w
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:32:29 -0500

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> How are you pasting into the other application? Are you using the middle
> mouse button?
>
> I follow the following process and it all works fine.
>
> 1. mark the region
> 2. cut/copy the region with C-w or M-w
> 3. Go tot he app I want to paste to
> 4. Put the cursor where I want to paste and hit the middle mouse button
>
> note that I'm not using CUA mode - not sure if that has any impact.

Tim do you mind posting how you do the other way round.

I mean copy outside emacs. Paste inside emacs.
I keep getting really goofed up when I try that.  Seems to take
several attempts before the paste will happen.

I probably have something set wrong somewhere.  But it seems like the
last copy/kill in emacs is what keeps sticking to clipboard or kill ring or
somewhere I don't want it.  So that when I press middle mouse or C-y
to paste into emacs... I get something from an earlier operation.

I'd like to do this:

1. Mouse or keyboard (or C-a) select a region or `all'  (say in firefox)
2. Middle mouse or C-y to paste that region into emacs.
done