Re: package updater?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: package updater?
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:00:39 +0200

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

Hi Pascal,

>> I have installed many emacs packages over the years.  It's difficult
>> to keep up with updates for all of them.  Is there a mechanism,
>> similar to yast, smart, apt, etc, that will update packages
>> automatically?
>
> gentoo installs emacs packages like any other package.  When you
> update your package with gentoo, it updates emacs packages too.

The problem is that not all packages are available as ebuild or deb, and
even if it is available, it needs not to be up-to-date.

But at least the gentoo-emacs herd does an excellent job.  For all
popular packages which are not too easy to install (auctex, cedet,
slime, ...), there's an recent ebuild.

Bye,
Tassilo