Re: EMACS 23.1.1 and crypt++

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: EMACS 23.1.1 and crypt++
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:49:20 +1000

"Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@inka.de> writes:

> Yesterday, I upgraded to EMACS 23.1.1/WinXP, from some version of
> EMACS 22. Unfortunately, now crypt++.el does not behave correctly
> anymore:
>
> When I open a file with extension ".gpg", as configured, it correctly
> asks for a password and presents a buffer with the decrypted contents.
> However, when I try to save the file, the it firsts asks whether it
> should be stored encrypted, and then for the password. This behavior
> is unwanted. I want crypt++.el to always save the file and encrypt it
> with the password I specified earlier.
>
> How do I get back the old behavior?
>
> - Felix
>
> PS: Yes, I already tried XEmacs' "crypt.el": same problem.

Emacs 23 comes with built in support for file encryption through the
incorporation of easyPGP as part of standard emacs.

At a guess, I would say that it is easyPGP that is doing the encryption
or possibly you are getting unwanted interaction between crypt++ and
easyPGP.

My suggestion would be to remove crypt++, then see if you can configure
the built-in encryption/decryption support to show the behavior you
want. If that doesn't work, then maybe investigate how to disable the
built-in package and load crypt++. I'm not sure how actively crypt++ is
maintained while the built-in functionality is almost certainly going to
be, so it would make sense to migrate to that provided it will function
in a way that meets your needs and doesn't frustrate too much due to how
it is different.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au