Re: Copying text from emacs to another application using M-w

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Copying text from emacs to another application using M-w
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:47:52 -0500

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

[...]

> Hi Harry,
>
> when I read your post of how your working, I thought maybe there are
> some 'different' key bindings in the mini-buffer. I sometimes get bitten
> in a similar way when using i-search and you want to paste in something
> you have highlihgted as the search string - I then realised I needed to
> use M-y rather than C-y in that situation.
>
> So, I tried your exact scenario. I am sorry to report that I could not
> reproduce your problem. It worked perfectly for me each time, regardless

[...]

Thanks for taking time to test and report the details.

> Are you using anything like ido, icycles etc? I'm stock standard out of
> the box with none of the 'advanced' enhancements to the mini-buffer. I'm
> also using a real three button mouse, not one with 2 buttons set to
> emulate a 3 button one. I also cut from an xterm rather than some other
> terminal emulator, like gnomre-terminal (I'm not saying this means
> anything, just trying to eliminate possible differences between our
> setup). I'm also running a recent CVS build (about 5 days old) of emacs
> 23. I do not have any settings in my .emacs relating to clipboard or
> anything else - all at default values. I am running emacspeak and it is
> possible it has modified something I'm not aware of.

Ditto to all of the above, except `emacsspeak', including copying from
genuine xterm of Thomas Dickie fame, not one of the pretenders to the
throne and using an actual 3 button mouse.

Oddly, I am not always able to reproduce the problem either.  Which
probably means there is something else involved the times I see the
problem.   Something I haven't really noticed yet so did not include
in my complaint.

Possibly some shortcoming due to wear on the mouse itself?  Its a
razor prosolutions pro V 1.6 ( I got it for exacting work in Photoshop
but it kind of took over all mouse duties)

But for that matter... it if never occurs again from here on I'll be a
happy camper.   But I think not... since it has recurred enough to
prompt me to complain here about it.

Being more conscious of the problem and looking for it to recur... I
haven't got lucky (unlucky) yet... That is, I haven't been able to
reproduce it in several tries now.