Re: Gnus with Emacs 23: gnus-gcc-mark-as-read not working anymore

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Gnus with Emacs 23: gnus-gcc-mark-as-read not working anymore
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:33:53 +0200

Stefan Kamphausen <skampi@gmx.net> writes:

>>> Yes

> I could narrow the problem down to line 1685 in gnus-msg.el:
>
>               (setq group (gnus-group-short-name group)))
>
> since gnus-group-short-name strips the nnml-prefix.  I just evaluated
> the gnus-inews-do-gcc defun found in Emacs 22.3 and then everything
> worked as expected.

OK, I tested this with Emacs 23.1/Gnus v5.13 with the following minimal
.gnus.el:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((cond ((message-news-p)
               "nnml:saved-news")
              (t
               (list
                "nnml:mail.office.all"
                (format-time-string "nnml:mail.%Y-%m") )))))
(setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)

It works for me. I get the following GCC header

Gcc: nnml:mail.office.all nnml:mail.2009-09

and when I send mail, it is marked as read and doesn't show up when I
hit 'g'.

In fact, when I comment out the call to gnus-group-short-name, it does
not work anymore and I get a new article in both groups.

I don't know why you're seeing the exact opposite behavior. Please check
if the articles actually get marked as read. You can do this by
evaluating first

(gnus-active "mail.office.all")

which will give you the lowest and highest article number, and

(gnus-info-read (gnus-get-info "mail.office.all"))

which will give you the range of read articles. You should get something
like (1 . 10) and ((1 . 10)), resp., with '10' being the highest article
number in my case.

Then send a message and immediately evaluate the above again. It should
be something like (1 . 11) and ((1 . 11)).

Regards,
David