Re: New config file

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: New config file
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 01:18:04 -0500

emacsuser <mekhala.acharya@bms.com> writes:

> It loads an emacs session ((not with the default serttings of .emacs). But I
> have to type M-x load file, then give .emacs-ks. Only then does the config
> settings take effect. I wasn't to be able to call .emacs-ks  without using
> load file.

Probably the simplist way would be to create an alias for emacs that
runs emacs -q -l my.config (Or a function)

The -q tells emacs not to load .emacs... and the -l tells emacs to
load whatever filename follows.

The alias route would look like this (in .bashrc)  (assuming you are using
bash as your shell)

alias='myem emacs -q -l ~/my.conf'  (Use any name (without spaces)
that you want in place of `myem' and `my.conf'.

I usually prefer functions... but either way if fine. A function would
look like (in .bashrc.):

myem () { emacs -q -l ~/my.conf; }

Ditto about the names... but the spacing and format need to be exactly
like that, including the semi-colon... the shell is fussy about functions.