Re: New config file

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: New config file
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:07:33 +1000

emacsuser <mekhala.acharya@bms.com> writes:

> Thank you so much guys. I finally got it to work with all your input.:-)
> Placing my config file in .emacs.d or  using the -l option (either one
> works) helped. Of course since I needed tor retain the .emacs I used the -l
> and it works perfectly. This problem arose because the .emacs files is being
> accessed from 2 servers which map to the same .emacs .So I decided to write
> a 2 shell scripts which calls 2 different .emacs files. Will not go into the
> gory details.
>
> Thanks again,
> Miki
>
> Richard Riley-3 wrote:
>>
>> emacsuser <mekhala.acharya@bms.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am relatively new to emacs. I have been trying to get it to work on
>>> Linux.
>>> I was told to rename the config file .emacs to something other than
>>> .emacs.
>>> So I called it .emacs-ks. After customizing it, I called it using :
>>> emacs -u .emacs-ks
>>> It loads an emacs session ((not with the default serttings of .emacs).
>>> But I
>>> have to type M-x load file, then give .emacs-ks. Only then does the
>>> config
>>> settings take effect. I wasn't to be able to call .emacs-ks  without
>>> using
>>> load file.
>>>
>>> My question is, is there any way I can call emacs using a config file
>>> with
>>> anem other than .emacs (I need to retain .emacs in my current folder for
>>> other purposes)
>>>
>>> Your help is really appreciated. i know this must be a silly problem for
>>> all
>>> of you, but please bear with me.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Miki
>>
>> My ".emacs" is called init.el and resides in ~/.emacs.d
>>
>> I did this primarily to have all my emacs files in a sub dir so I could
>> sync that dir with the laptop etc without considering special files in
>> the home directory.
>>
>> More info here:
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Init-File.html
>>
>> Interestingly enough the irc channel #emacs had a few people who were
>> totally anti this because they considered .emacs.d as a directory where
>> only emacs put files and anything you put there could be under threat of
>> being overwritten.
>>
>> The aside question is why on earth would you have the file ".emacs"
>> reserved for other things :-;

There is a package called initz (or something similar) which allows you
to have a much more complex .emacs setup. It allows you to split the
file into a number of smaller files and have specific bits loaded
depending on things like the IP address your at or the version of emacs
your running etc. I looked at it a few years ago, but decided not ot use
it as it was over kill for my needs. However, it sounds like it might be
the sort of thing you may find useful. The nice thing about it is that
you can hae a common part that is shared amongst all instances of emacs
you run and then specific setups for different environment needs, such
as different network or different version etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au