Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages

From: LanX
Subject: Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:01:30 +0200

> Does compile-mode work without Ilya's latest, or, to be more exact, does it
> work with GNU Emacs' cperl-mode?

in emacs 22 yes in emacs 23 no!

> If it does not, then you might ask for help on an XEmacs list, because
> compile-mode comes from XEmacs. (Or you could try to use it in XEmacs.)

I'm using Gnu Emacs for two years now w/o problems, and just try to upgrade.

> Because it obviously isn't GNU Emacs' fault.

I don't care who's "fault" it is, I just want to pin down that there is an upgrade problem, such that we can search a solution.

> Or try to adjust the external
> compile-mode with any of your cperl-mode's. There should be some ways of
> customisation...

cperl-mode.el has over 9000 lines, before I intervene I'll wait what Ilya says.

Well AFAIK he's still working with 19 ... but he's surely the best to know.

> Does it work without compile-mode? GNU Emacs has its own compile.el...

yes it "works" but  limited. It doesn't and never did  support compile.el, so one cannot compile.

> Does it work without compile-mode and without Ilya's latest, or, to be more
> exact, does it work with GNU Emacs' own tools?

see above. Everything worked fine with Gnu Emacs 22.

Anyway I posted the problem on some perl sites asking for confirmation, thanks for your help!

Cheers
  rolf