Re: Dvorak/Svorak in Emacs

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Dvorak/Svorak in Emacs
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 09:56:52 -0700 (PDT)

i've been a professional qwerty typist hired for data entry for 1+
year in early 1990s.

I've been a dvorak touch typist since ~1993.

Started to use emacs, and daily, since 1998.

So, my emacs experience is all dvorak, and it's all good.

if you are thinking some sort of dvorak for typing and qwerty for
hotkeys, don't do that.

there are quite a few pages about dvorak and emacs... how much time
did you google?

if you want to try dvorak, just switch to the layout in your OS, and
use emacs as is. That's the best way.

a lot people uses dvorak with emacs too... too lazy to cite them here.
You can find them on blogs...etc. Try to spend a hour web search,
you'll find probably more info or blogs, comments, etc that will take
more than 4 hours to read, at least.

i have written quite a lot on the subject myself... you can read:

• Xah's Emacs Tutorial
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs.html

• All About Keyboards, Keyboard Layouts, Shortcuts, Macros
  http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/keyboarding.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄