Re: emacs - some navigation keys aren't working

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: emacs - some navigation keys aren't working
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 10:07:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 3, 2:18 am, Daniel Dalton <d.dal...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few of my navigation keys in emacs don't appear to be working, for
> example meta (alt key), shift and , to go to the top of the file does
> nothing. Same with bottom of file. It seems to work fine when it is ran
> from x though. Used to work fine, before my holiday, not sure what has
> changed. I've done a few updates and perhaps something else to cause
> this issue, but I'm not sure. so does anyone know what I've done? Has
> the keymap or layout settings been changed? I'm not sure why it works in
> X and not on the console? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan.

Emacs, much due to its historical baggage, has the problem that some
shortcut key combinations do not work, or work differently, when used
on Terminal. One example is the Cntr+Shift+key. Part of this is the
technological limitation of the terminal itself.

you should be more specific about your problem.

for example, you say that Alt key doesn't work. It almost always works
in any terminal on Windows, Mac, Linux. You just need to set up your
terminal app's preference. They almost always have a option to make
one of the modifier keys as emacs's Meta.

Without this setup, you can always press Esc, then ‹key›, for Meta
+‹key› combo. They are equivalent.

This page may interest you, but isn't really about what you are
asking.

• How to Define Keyboard Shortcuts in Emacs
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboard_shortcuts.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/