Problem with mouse selecting a region

From: Neal Becker
Subject: Problem with mouse selecting a region
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 10:01:26 -0400

emacs-23.1 (linux).

How to select a region with the mouse that doesn't fit on a single screen?
This works:
Press mouse1.  Drag off bottom edge, this will cause screen to scroll.
Release mouse1 when satisfied.

But the scrolling speed when dragging isn't always satisfactory.  Here's
what should work but doesn't:
Press mouse1.  Drag and release (without moving off bottom edge).  Now a
region is highlighted.  Let's extend it.

If you click on the left fringe on the _same screen_ the region is extended.
But, lets scroll down.  Use mousewheel to scroll.  Or, use any other method
to scroll.  As soon as the screen is redrawn, the original selection is
lost!  That's serious breakage.  I don't think any other app acts this way.

Again, when scrolling, as long as the selected region is visible, the region
is still active.  As soon as it scrolls off the screen, it's no longer
active.  I don't think it should act that way.