Re: cperl-mode and fontlock

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: cperl-mode and fontlock
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 09:50:56 -0500

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:04:25 +0000 (UTC) Ilya Zakharevich
<nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> wrote:

IZ> On 2009-09-28, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> Ilya, it looks like Chong Yidong has synchronized 6.2 into the Emacs
>> trunk.

IZ> How much does it differ from what was done a decade ago?  That time
IZ> a brave guy volunteered and converted cperl-mode to new conventions.
IZ> Only years of user experiences had shown that this introduced so many
IZ> bugs that the mode is IMO unusable.

I don't know, sorry.  I am only trying to get you to discuss it on
emacs-devel.

>> Can you follow up on emacs-devel and clear up any remaining issues?

IZ> Could not find it on gmane.emacs.devel...

Here's a reference:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/115635/focus=115643

>> I'd like to make sure the Emacs version of cperl-mode doesn't
>> get out of sync again, and it's good that Chong (one of the two current
>> Emacs maintainers) feels strongly enough to synchronize against your
>> version.

IZ> The only practically viable solution I can see is to aim for identical
IZ> byte-code between "my" version and Emacs's one...  (At least with some
IZ> "define"; the default compile may aim for distinct bytecode, but all
IZ> the corresponding places in the .el file should be easily identifyable...)

I don't know if this is practical for everyone, but I hope you can
discuss it on emacs-devel.

Thanks
Ted