Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:56:09 +0200

Jeff Clough <jeff@chaosphere.com> writes:

> From: Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 05:06:16 -0700 (PDT)
>
>> On Sep 9, 4:55 am, Bastien <bastiengue...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, I use GNUS (maybe because I spent so much time in
>> it, I don't want to admit I was wrong ;) but you must be ready to
>> spent some time to configure it and to adopt it and I'm wondering if
>> it really worth the trouble specially if the OP is not interested in
>> news group...
>>

> It wasn't worth it.  I use Mew for mail and it works just fine.  Well,
> as good as Emacs works under Windows at all.
>
> Jeff
>
> ----------
> Author of the Genesys System
> A "free" universal role-playing game.
> http://www.chaosphere.com/genesys/

I think it is worth it because of the benefits of it being cradled by
mother Emacs : having all my normal text tools for translation,
spelling, searching etc in my gnus buffers is just too cool. It all
works together too well. I do remember being frustrated earlier because
of the incomprehensible manual and the raft of options (and being newish
to emacs). But it was worth it.

And there are tons of examples out there of working set ups where all
that needs to be changed is the select method and a different .authinfo.