Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:40:08 +0200

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Richard
>
> The gnus manual reads in at near 500 pages.
> Do you think thats a reasonable size document for a mail reader?
>
> Just curious
>
> Rustom

I think the gnus manual is far from perfect. I am not aware of anyone
that thinks it is. I certainly have never claimed that. It's why most
people use google to get a "quick setup" solution. When its running THEN
the manual is useful because Gnus IS a powerful bit of SW and its far
more than just a "mail reader".

But just for the record : I have not said Gnus is easy to set up. I have
not said the manual is perfect. I have, however, said that vaunting the
features of one MUA over Gnus when one has not even got Gnus working is
somewhat naive and biased. With the power comes the complications I
guess :-;

I can only state that having got Gnus working the way I want its far and
away more powerful than any other solution I have used in all the years
I have used a mail/nntp client.