Re: Anyone gone from mutt to Emacs? was: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: Anyone gone from mutt to Emacs? was: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:47:38 +0200

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 02:11:07AM +0000, David Combs wrote:
A top-post: Here, someone went from Thunderbird (gui, etc)
to emacs, showing what he had to do to succeed.
(I include it all this once, so if expired for you, is
newified again.)

Question: I use mutt on my isp-shell-account, and like it,
and use .1% of its capability (I think, so powerful is it).
Has anyone switched from mutt to emacs (temporarily or not)?
Comments?

Like you I'm a mutt user who looks longingly into gnus-land but don't
know if I have the energy to make the transition.

Even after setting up a basic .gnus so that I could see the mails on
my local IMAP server, I still had to stumble my way along. Pressing ^
to subscribe to my local IMAP 'newsgroups' was not intuitive.

Before it'll be much use to me, I realised I still need to figure out
how to:
(0) Work out how to NOT have to subscribe to my inbox every time I
start gnus!
(1) Configure my summary INBOX buffer so that it shows the columns I
want and is sorted like I want
(2) Get BBDB address completion working
(3) Do something about mail indexing
(4) Work out how to read HTML mails that people send me with w3m

None of these problems are on their own insurmountable, it just
requires a lot of energy, and from where I stand doesn't offer me
convincing benefits over using mutt with emacs 'set' as editor.

I've put a lot of effort in over the last while getting mutt to work
as I like it, and the increased benefits of using GNUs may not be
worth the pain involved in getting there. Or maybe they do?

Cheers,
Jonathan