Re: Python : share your emacs 23 setup?

From: Steven Knight
Subject: Re: Python : share your emacs 23 setup?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:26:39 -0400

On Thu Oct 15 2009 09:41:14 GMT-0400 (EST), Richard Riley wrote:
I would very much like to see/share any working, half decent, python set
up any of you guys have : using iPython in a buffer perhaps? With
completion and context help for python APIs? There is a lot of fluff on
the wiki including some stuff I put up there but with a small python
project coming up I would love to see a decent set up that will "Just
work" with emacs 23.

Hi,

My current emacs setup meets most of the requirements you mentioned. At present I'm not using iPython in buffers (usually I just run the script outside of emacs), nor does it have context help. But it does have completion. You can find it here:

http://gitorious.org/skk/dot-files-forest

Please note that this is a large git repo containing emacs setup files along many other things (fish, zsh, vim, etc).

Here's how to use it.

$ cd ~/

$ git clone git://gitorious.org/skk/dot-files-forest.git

# if you have a .emacs.d or .emacs you should move/rename them
$ ln -s ~/dot-files-forest/emacs  ~/.emacs.d
$ ln -s ~/dot-files-forest/emacs/emacs.el  ~/.emacs

A copy of Pymacs, rope and ropemacs is in ~/.emacs.d. If you are running python 2.6, you maybe able to set PYTHONPATH:
$ export PYTHONPATH=~/.emacs.d/python/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

Otherwise you'll need to install Pymacs, rope and ropemacs. You can find instructions for doing so here: http://www.enigmacurry.com/category/emacs/

Also you'll want to install pyflakes for real-time syntax checking, too.

This is running Emacs 23.1 (compiled from source), with python 2.6 on Fedora 11.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks,

--
Steven Knight