Context menu? How to make mouse-popup-menubar-stuff work?

From: LanX
Subject: Context menu? How to make mouse-popup-menubar-stuff work?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:51:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

I'd like to have menu popping up after right-click like in xemacs.

Browsing through the docs of emacs 22 I found

<C-down-mouse-3> at that spot runs the command mouse-popup-menubar-
stuff
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `mouse.el'.
It is bound to <C-down-mouse-3>.
(mouse-popup-menubar-stuff event prefix)

Popup a menu like either `mouse-major-mode-menu' or `mouse-popup-
menubar'.
Use the former if the menu bar is showing, otherwise the latter.

But pressing C-down-mouse-3 has no effect, just after releasing I get
the message
"<C-mouse-3> is undefined"

in emacs23 its even more complicated it says
(mouse-popup-menubar-stuff event prefix)

This function is obsolete since 23.1.

Can it be that the behaviour of mouse-3 to mark the end of a region is
interfering here?

Puzzled and appreciating any help
cheers
  rolf