RE: How to get to info mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to get to info mode
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:06:48 -0700

> > If that is a major mode, check the value of
> > `auto-mode-alist' - perhaps some
> > code you load adds a mapping for `*.info' files to `text-fly-mode'.
>
> Thanks. I added a auto-mode-alist line for the file "dir". But it
> didn't help. I did a grep to see anything change the mode. It all
> looks allright to me.

No, don't fiddle with `auto-mode-alist' unless it is already mapping `.info' to
the wrong mode.

> I jump to info mode with saved bookmarks. I have tried C-h i. It works
> for my own info file. But everytime I jump to /usr/share/info/dir, it
> showed the correct file, but in "Text Fly" mode and is in a normal
> buffer, not *info* buffer. When I repeat this to go to teh Emacs info
> file, it is in the correct mode though.

If `C-h i' works for your own file, but not for some others, then they are not
listed in the `dir' that you are using. It sounds like you need to do what
Pascal suggested:

 > You can also add directories to the variable Info-directory-list

Or better yet, customize option `Info-additional-directory-list', which is
intended for user modification.