Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages

From: LanX
Subject: Re: In emacs 23 compile-mode doesn't recognize (c)perl error messages
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 05:55:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

> > The problem is more fundamental: info-files are static!
>
> As any file...
>
> > For every new installation of a perl-modul one needs to build the info
> > file again.
>
> I do not see how switching to a different format might help here...
>
> > Or is it possible to produce and display info-files dynamically???
>
> I do not think you meant something like "in a moving vehicle".  ;-)
> Otherwise, this does not make a lot of sense...

whatever perlversion I update or CPAN-Module I install man or perldoc
always show the most recent documentation.

If I need colors and xrefs I can run one of the many pod2html
solutions to "dynamically" produce html and display them using w3m.

pod2texi is a seperate process which has to be run seperately to
update the tex and info files, with the result that the files produced
are most of the time outdated.

AFAIK emacs needs these files to be installed in a special directory
and parsed at start up. Thats what I call "static".

A "dynamic" solution would allow to update a CPAN-module while emacs
is running and next time you call info the _new_ documentation is
displayed!

No idea if this is even possible with the actual Info implementation
in emacs.

Hope I was clearer
  Cheers Rolf