Re: Using longlines-mode on part of a buffer

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: Using longlines-mode on part of a buffer
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:59:38 +0100

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

>> I find longlines-mode very usefull. But sometimes I only want to use it
>> on part of a buffer. Is this possible, or do I want to much?
>
> Note that AFAIK longlines-mode is in the process of being replaced by
> visual-lines-mode (which version of Emacs do you have?). But this
> doesn't answer your question, of course.

On the system where this editing takes place: GNU Emacs 22.3.1.
This does not have this command. I could look if it is possible to
update it.

By the way the command is 'visual-line-mode' instead off
'visual-lines-mode'. I think 'visual-lines-mode' would be better.

> Depending on what you want to do, Giorgios's proposal (narrowing) might
> do the trick for you (you won't see the "outer" part of the text when
> narrowed, though).
>
> What exactly are you trying to achieve?

In the org-document I edit I use tables. I do not want those to be
wrapped, because that does look bad. And in longlines-mode it went
severall times wrong. And when editing the 'normal' text it would be
nice to see the unwrapped tables.
By the way I prefer longlines-mode, because this wraps at fill-column
instead of at the right window edge.