Re: conditionals in elisp

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: conditionals in elisp
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:37:05 +0100

> pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Whatever.  Results 1 - 50 of about 151,000 for emacs lisp
>> cheatsheet. (0.58 seconds) ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Aside from being horribly lazy, not to mention stupid... I'm also
> apparently blind.... I asked about `if else conditionals'... and using
> a string I would never have thought of to search for that topic I
> repeated your search..finding in a blazing .58 second... exactly 0
> references to that topic (at least in the first two pages).

Why can't you see these links on the first page returned by Google?

http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/01/emergency-elisp.html

There's even the "Emacs Lisp for Perl Programmers"
http://obsidianrook.com/devnotes/elisp-for-perl-programmers.html on
it.

Granted, contrarily to what I expected, there's no cheat sheet for
emacs lisp, just for emacs.  This is not bad, since the later would
help you know how to get help about the if operator, (typing C-h f if
RET).

In anycase, you should have been able to find at least the two links
above that are accessible from the first page of results given by
google.

> I'll admit I gave up after the second page... Oh, wait I take it
> back, there is mention of your posts on this thread.  But then, those
> don't mention anything about the topic either.

Yes, that's a funny side effect.   That's why google search should be
done first! ;-)

> I wasn't thinking, tutorial either, since, again I've tortured myself
> with a few in the past. And a tutorial by its nature will take in a
> lot more than what I was after.  I wanted examples... and that is what I
> posted about.

The problem is that you shouldn't have to ask what syntax is if in
lisp, if you knew the first thing about lisp.  You can realy learn all
there is to know about lisp in five minutes. (Of course, then you need
a lifetime to ponder the consequences, but nonetheless, five minutes
is all you need to know it all).

> In fact I see now that looking for something similar to `if else' in
> perl or shell scripting is really a mistake.  It looks quite different
> in elisp (at least syntactically). . I'm not sure I ever would have
> recognized it ... had I found examples.
>
> What I saw was mostly about emacs commands.  Something I actually know
> a fair bit about after over a decade using emacs..  Maybe not by
> standards of this list, but by a wider standard I do.
>
> Thanks for your input. Pascal, I seem to have reached beyond your
> patience level.. this time.  But you have provided many helpful posts
> to me direct and indirect over the yrs and I thank you for that.

Just tell us when you have five minutes to learn all there is to know
about lisp ;-)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__