Re: nXML questions

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: nXML questions
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 12:39:27 +0100

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Andreas Roehler
<andreas.roehler@online.de> wrote:
> Sam Steingold wrote:
>> Now that nXML is the default xml mode instead of the old sgml-mode, I am
>> wondering it its manual could be brought up to date, e.g., answering the
>> question which bothers me right now:
>>
>> how do I tell nxml that I have a compound docbook document consisting of
>> a few files included into the master file using system entities, when
>> editing a component file? nxml does not recognize any of the entities,
>> defined in the master file.
>>
>> also, nxml seems to think that the <code> element and the language=
>> attribute of the <programlisting> element are invalid. why?
>>
>> also, it does not recognize <xi:include> elements. why?
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> Sam.
>

> Hi,
>
> AFAIU nxml is designed exclusively to edit XML Schema files.
> XML Schema don't use a DTD as docbook does.

That sounds a bit strange. Is there a misunderstanding there?

You can for example edit XHTML files with nXml. It uses the DTD, but
it have to have it converted to an .rng file. Please see the home page
for nXml for more information about how to convert a DTD to a .rng
file.

A .rng file for DocBook comes with Emacs. However there are several
DocBook DTDs. There are perhaps also some things that nXml does not
cover fully, but I do not know this well.