emacs 23 and x-symbol

From: Andreas Klein
Subject: emacs 23 and x-symbol
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 12:06:06 +0100 (CET)

Hello.

I hope this is right news group I have problems with x-symbol package under emcs 23. (Yes I know that x-symbol is rather old.)

The problem seams to be that x-symbol uses simple strings to do the font selection and the emacs 23 font selection function expect some font object. Does any one know a bug fix?

I am not an expert in emacs lisp. Can any one give me a some link to exlanations what was changed in the font selction scheme of emacs? A tip how I could get emacs to give me a more precise error messages? I even dont get a line number.

Thank you for your help
        Andreas Klein