Local frame for a remote emacs

From: Jason Sewall
Subject: Local frame for a remote emacs
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 00:00:55 -0500

I posted this to comp.emacs earlier, but it seems pretty quiet there,
so I thought I'd try this list:

I've been trying to get emacs to let me open a local frame to an
already-running emacs for a while now, and I can't seem to make it
work. This is with emacs 23.

I start emacs --daemon on my desktop machine, then on my laptop, I run
ssh -X <desktop> -f emacsclient -c. I get the following response:

"X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication

*ERROR*: Display localhost:10.0 can't be opened"

I don't claim to be an expert in xauth, but I've never had any trouble
with running ssh -X on these machines.

ssh -X <desktop> -f emacs works fine
ssh <desktop> -f emacsclient -t works fine
ssh -X <desktop> -f emacsclient --eval '"(make-frame-on-display
\"$DISPLAY"\)"' gives the same rejection as emacsclient -c

In terms of X and, what are these commands doing differently? Is the
$DISPLAY that emacs --daemon is started in somehow causing the remote
access to fail?

Any ideas? I've done a bit of Googling and I can't seem to find a good
answer. Any thoughts here?

Jason