improper display of multibyte characters

From: Ron Peterson (012ED25E)
Subject: improper display of multibyte characters
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 17:56:06 -0800 (PST)

I'm doing some dev work on my laptop running Kubuntu.  My compilation
window is not displaying multibyte characters correctly.
Specifically, the output I should be seeing is e.g. ')', but I see
instead â\200\230)â\200\231.  (My example single quotes should be left
and right quotes..)

All of my other debian boxes work just fine, but Kubuntu on my laptop
makes me want to scream right now.  My display table is nil on all
machines.  What is going on here?