Re: AltGr with Emacs 23 on OSX and German keyboard

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: AltGr with Emacs 23 on OSX and German keyboard
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:18:42 +0100

Am 13.11.2009 um 11:27 schrieb Stefan Kamphausen:

However, I'm under the impression that X11 is nur running.  I compiled
the native Cocoa-version of Emacs23 (or is Carbon the newer one? Sorry
to be fuzzy here).

Could you be a bit more specific? You could describe the way you launch that application – or copy a bit from the buffer which is created when you choose "Send Bug Report…" from the Help menu. BTW, is this Help menu in Emacs' frame or in the  menu bar? The X clients can't "delegate" the menu-bar...

The utility xev can give you exact information about a key and X
modifiers.

Can I just launch X11 and then use xev to examine the keycodes?

Of course!

 Will that in any way reflect the situation of the native programs?

No. You could try to create your own keyboard layout. See for example http://wiki.neo-layout.org/browser/mac_osx/ or http://www.sil.org/ computing/catalog/show_software.asp?id=94. Surely there are more tools to edit the keyboard layout, which is very easy in Mac OS X. You might need Peter Maurer's Key Codes application: http:// www.manytricks.com/keycodes to determine the Mac OS X key codes.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Wer nichts zu verbergen hat, hat schon alles verloren.
                                (Juli Zeh)