Re: AltGr with Emacs 23 on OSX and German keyboard

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Re: AltGr with Emacs 23 on OSX and German keyboard
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:42:22 +0100

Hi,

> Am 13.11.2009 um 11:27 schrieb Stefan Kamphausen:
>
>> However, I'm under the impression that X11 is nur running.  I compiled
>> the native Cocoa-version of Emacs23 (or is Carbon the newer one?
>> Sorry
>> to be fuzzy here).
>
> Could you be a bit more specific? You could describe the way you
> launch that application –

I either use an icon in the dock or I start Emacs via a Shell script:
cat `which emacs`
#!/bin/sh

test -x "$emacs" ||
emacs="$HOME/local/opt/emacs-23.1/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs"
test -x "$emacs" || emacs="/usr/bin/emacs"

exec "$emacs" ${SSH_CONNECTION:+-nw} ${SCREEN_IN_SSH:+-nw} "$@"

Both behave exactly the same.

 or copy a bit from the buffer which is
> created when you choose "Send Bug Report…" from the Help menu.

Here you are...

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.7.0, NS apple-appkit-949.46)
 of 2009-08-02 on imac
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.949
configured using `configure  '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

 BTW,
> is this Help menu in Emacs' frame or in the  menu bar? The X clients
> can't "delegate" the menu-bar...

It's in the menu bar, just like a native OSX application.

>>> The utility xev can give you exact information about a key and X
>>> modifiers.
>>
>> Can I just launch X11 and then use xev to examine the keycodes?
>
> Of course!
>
>>  Will that in any way reflect the situation of the native programs?
>

> No. You could try to create your own keyboard layout. See for example
> http://wiki.neo-layout.org/browser/mac_osx/ or http://www.sil.org/
> computing/catalog/show_software.asp?id=94. Surely there are more
> tools to edit the keyboard layout, which is very easy in Mac OS X.
> You might need Peter Maurer's Key Codes application: http://
> www.manytricks.com/keycodes to determine the Mac OS X key codes.

Still have to look into those.

If I hit AltGr-Backspace and do the C-h l afterwards I see:
M-(sharp s) C-h l
(I can't insert the real sharp s in this emacs, I currently use to type
this post, but it is displayed as a "normal" sharp-s in the help
buffer).

Another thing I noted: the described behavior occurs with that keyboard
layout I loaded from the net as well as with the original osx layout.  I
toggle those using a little icon in the menubar and applications like
e.g. the terminal that shipped with this computer reflect the changes
immediately: with the original layout I see a question mark upside-down
if I hit AltGr-Backslash but with the custom layout I get a backslash.
Funny, that makes no difference in Emacs.

xev didn't help either.  It reports AltGr as

KeyPress event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x600001,
    root 0x27d, subw 0x0, time 4154597274, (135,83), root:(135,105),
    state 0x0, keycode 57 (keysym 0x20, space), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (20) " "
    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (20) " "
    XFilterEvent returns: False

with the original layout and as

KeyPress event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x600001,
    root 0x27d, subw 0x0, time 4154673256, (86,89), root:(86,111),
    state 0x0, keycode 69 (keysym 0xff7e, Mode_switch), same_screen YES,
    XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 66
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

with the custom layout.  However, since X11 was launched when I started
xev that's probably not releveant anyway.

Well, that's it.  I'm running out of ideas what else to try (other than
compiling Emacs from CVS maybe).  Is this considered a bug, shall I sent
that report?

Kind regards,
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)