Re: Open a info file manually

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: Open a info file manually
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:31:32 -0500

    Am 11.11.2009 um 16:26 schrieb tomas:

    > Hm. I don't quite understand what you want to do. Are you looking
    > for a
    > Lisp function to load an info file? Are you trying to load an info
    > file
    > given its path (as opposed to given an index entry)?

    I started to think of a function that is like C-h i and does not look
    up local information but googles for it. Therefore this function
    would be bound to C-u C-h i...

    W3m could be something, but it is more like a general solution to
    access the internet. Maybe a package like those which look up in a
    thesaurus words with the same meaning or which translate a word can
    be a start. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/mthesaur.el ? At
    least Emacs wiki could be a start to search for more.

    Let's wait for some possible feedback!

I often wished that along with the all-important M-$, that I could look
up a word in the Random House Unabridged Dictionary (used by
Dictionary.com), it's really a fine way to look up the etymologies and
American English pronunciations of words.

Along with `backing out of' GNU/Emacs with C-u C-h i, I was thinking of
the possibility of backing out of our incredible editor with C-u M-$ (or
maybe a more appropriate binding than a spelling-related one) to get to
a resource like Dictionary.com.

And now I can!  Thanks for the prompting, Pete!

I googled `emacswiki dictionary' and there it was:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DictionaryDotCom

I know this comes unsolicited but, my three favorite tools on this
planet are my Bianchi Pista, the Klein Haven Wire Rope Grip (I was an
inverted CM chain hoist rigger for a lot of years) and the GNU/Emacs
text editor.  AND IT JUST GOT EVEN BETTER.

I installed w3m (on Ubuntu 9.10), got emacs-w3m from CVS and put the
code from emacswiki in my dotemacs:

;;; w3m
(require 'w3m-load)
;; dictionary
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c d")
                (lambda ()
                  (interactive)
                  (w3m-goto-url
                   (format "http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/%s";
                           (read-string "Search word: " (current-word))))))

Right?!  No C-<space>, M-f, M-w, no nothing, just C-c d!  Anywhere!

My one question is rooted in installing CVS emacs-w3m:  was I really
really wrong doing sudo with each build command (autoconf, ./configure,
make and make install)?  It was the only way I could come up with to run
the commands successfully.

And did I mention how much more attrative Dictionary.com is in emacs-w3m
/ GNU/Emacs 23.1.50 / Xterm than in Firefox??  Holy Moly!  [... just did
C-c d on `moly'---it's an Hermetic herb, and this has been a truly
Hermetic theft, thanks for letting me steal from you!!]

Anyway ... yahoo!