Newby trying to do a macro key binding, I think

From: Paul Heinrich Dietrich
Subject: Newby trying to do a macro key binding, I think
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:41:52 -0800 (PST)

How do you write the code for a macro and key binding (I think that's how to
do it) in your .emacs file so that you can hit a key, say f5, and the
following command is automatically entered:

C-x d /me@servername#99:/home/directory/path/

I've tried a billion variations on a theme, but can't get it to work.  For
example, I tried

C-x (C-x d /me@servername#99:/home/directory/path/C-x)

and I forget the routine now, but did something with kbd and names and
managed to get the code into my .emacs file.  The first problem is that the
main part of it (/me@servername#99:/home/directory/path/) wouldn't appear
because as I created the macro, Emacs tried to suggest a path that was
wildly different, so I had to backspace about 15 times and then type it, but
when I get the macro code into the .emacs file, all I see are a lot of
backspace backspace backspace...and no path.

No biggee, so I tried putting quotes around it, ?\ in front of it, etc.

What did I do wrong?  Go easy, I'm in the earliest learning stages of Emacs.

Next, I'm guessing I want to use a key binding.  Let's say I called the
macro pathfinder.  I think I would establish the key binding like this:

(global-set-key "\C-c a") 'pathfinder)

or

;(global-set-key [f5] 'pathfinder)

depending on whether I want to call it with f5 or C-c a.  Any help is
appreciated.  Thanks.