RE: Searching for program: no such file or directory, diff

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Searching for program: no such file or directory, diff
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 06:53:14 -0800

> I installed emacs under WindowsXp half a year ago, and it worked well.
> However, When I use ediff command to compare two buffer, it doesnot
> work and says "Searching for program: no such file or directory, diff"
> Then I tried to install diff or ediff, but it seems not a right way to
> fix the problem.
> So, What should i do if I wanna use ediff command on WindowsXp?

Perhaps `M-x customize-option ediff-diff-program'.

[Note: I didn't bother to check the code, so this is a guess. I just did `C-h o
ediff M-SPC -diff' in Icicles to show me all user options with substrings
`ediff' and `-diff'. The help text for this option suggests it might help. `C-h
o' is defined in library help-fns+.el.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HelpPlus]

I use Cygwin, so the option value I use is just "diff". But you might need some
other value - perhaps an absolute file name. The value should point to the
`diff' program that you have on your machine. If the program is in your path,
then the name can be relative.