Re: Newby trying to do a macro key binding, I think

From: Dirk-Jan C . Binnema
Subject: Re: Newby trying to do a macro key binding, I think
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:38:19 +0200

Hi,

    > How do you write the code for a macro and key binding (I think that's
    > how to do it) in your .emacs file so that you can hit a key, say f5, and
    > the following command is automatically entered:

    > C-x d /me@servername#99:/home/directory/path/

    > I've tried a billion variations on a theme, but can't get it to work.
    > For example, I tried

    > C-x (C-x d /me@servername#99:/home/directory/path/C-x)

Well, if I understand correctly, this should do -- the thing is that you
should not bind the key to something, but the underlying function. You can
find the 'underlying' function by pressing C-h k and then the existing key. In
this case, that would be dired, (or ido-dired, if you use ido).

In the docs (C-h f dir), you'll see that the the function is like:
   (dired dirname &optional switches)

So your key binding would then be:
    (global-set-key (kbd "<f5>")
                    (lambda()
                       (interactive)
                       (dired  "/me@servername#99:/home/directory/path/")))

See the link below for some more details about the magical incantation.

    > Next, I'm guessing I want to use a key binding.  Let's say I called
    > the macro pathfinder.  I think I would establish the key binding
    > like this:

    [...]
    > ;(global-set-key [f5] 'pathfinder)

    > depending on whether I want to call it with f5 or C-c a.  Any help is
    > appreciated.  Thanks.

One can specify keys in different ways. Using the 'kbd' macro may be the
easiest, because it understands the same format that C-h k uses. So, it would
be something like (maybe it needs the lambda/interactive as above).

         (global-set-key (kbd "C-c a") 'pathfinder)

         This may be helpful:
http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2008/12/binding-keys.html

Best wishes,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl