Re: Is there a package which uses markers to guess how to remap line num

From: Scott Frazer
Subject: Re: Is there a package which uses markers to guess how to remap line numbers?
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:39:34 -0500

rocky wrote:
I am writing a package (an interface to debuggers) that sets markers
on various lines (e.g. the lines at which the debugger stops at). Over
time, the buffer (source code) can change and the markers move around
with that. This is good.

Is there however a package which will suggest after buffer
modification how a particular line number might have changed given the
existing marker information and associated line number information for
that buffer?

Here is a concrete example. Let's say I have a buffer with a marker at
lines 1, 5, 10 and 20. Let's say the marker for 10 moves to line 11
after modification but not the one for 1, 5 or 20.

If I ask about lines in the range 2-4, I may warn that overall the
buffer has changed but possibly not the one in that range. Of course
if I ask about lines 1, 5, or 20, I can warn that although the buffer
has changed, (parts of) those lines haven't. If I ask about a line in
the range 6-19 I can suggest there may be a move ahead a line with
more certainty of line 10.

Has anyone thought about this problem. Does such a package exist or
has anything like this been done as part of an existing package?

What I have done for something similar is when the buffer is saved (or modified or whatever in your case) that I simply blow away all information that I am keeping about line numbers in this buffer and repopulate it by iterating over the markers (overlays in my case) and putting in the new line numbers.

Scott