RE: Compilation Message Presentation

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Compilation Message Presentation
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:14:31 -0800

> Does anybody know of an extensions to grep()/complie() in compile.el
> that highlights messages/warning/errors/notes in the *source-buffer*
> using either *overlays* or *fringes*?

Isn't that what it does already (overlay, not fringe)?
It does for me, at least.

I use compile+.el and grep+.el, but I don't think that makes much difference
here.

Here is the code in `compilation-goto-locus':
(overlay-put compilation-highlight-overlay 'face 'next-error)
See also variable `compilation-highlight-regexp'.

Oh, I also use simple+.el - maybe that has something to do with it. I added
`until-move' as a possible value for option `next-error-highlight'. Otherwise,
the highlighting goes away too quickly for my taste.

(Since I use separate frames, if the value is `t' it goes away even when I just
switch to the source-buffer frame, because a frame switch is considered the next
command.)