Re: how to implement function copy-subword-to-irc-buffer

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: how to implement function copy-subword-to-irc-buffer
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:02:23 -0700

B. T. Raven wrote:
Kevin Rodgers wrote:
B. T. Raven wrote:
I think I need (thing-at-point 'word), (buffer-list), set point and
mark, copy-region-as-kill-no-mark, and other usual suspects to implement
this but really want to automatically copy the substring of the word
before point or the whole word if point is in whitespace after the word.
This (sub)string should go to the point in the irc buffer (one whose
buffer-name starts with #) and then make that irc buffer current.

Looking at rcirc.el, it does not look like that is a reliable method to
select
"the" IRC buffer.  It actually supports multiple IRC buffers, maintained in
rcirc-buffer-alist (which is local to the server buffer, of which there may
also be more than 1).

Glossing over that for the moment, how about:

I was glossing over that too. Just to get started I was planning on
using the function with only one open server and channel. In fact, I
probably will never need it to go to more than one irc buffer. It's just
to move foreign language dictionary entries quickly into a particular
channel during a live session.

The code below simply selects the first buffer returned by buffer-list whose
name starts with "#" and has an rcirc server buffer associated with it.

(let* ((subword (if (looking-at "\\>")
            (thing-at-point 'word)

;; already the \> regex was new to me. If I C-s to the word "the" RET,
;; then point is already past the word

Yes, just as you requested: point is after the word.

          (buffer-substring (or (car (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'word))
                    (point))
                    (point))))

I can't get my mind around this either; why the (or ... ? Don't I always
want car of the cons returned by bounds-of-thing-at-point ?

Yes, but there are corner cases where it may be nil, which causes
buffer-substring to signal an error.

       (buffer-list (buffer-list))
       (irc-buffer (catch 'irc-buffer
             (while buffer-list
               (when (and (string-match "^#"
                        (buffer-name (car buffer-list)))
                  (buffer-local-value 'rcirc-server-buffer
                              (car buffer-list)))
             (throw 'irc-buffer (car buffer-list)))
               (setq buffer-list (cdr buffer-list))))))
  (when irc-buffer
    (funcall rcirc-switch-to-buffer-function irc-buffer)
    (insert subword)))

I couldn't wrap this in a defun and get it to work because I am in ver.
22.3 Can I copy rcirc.el from /emacs23/lisp/net over to ver 22.3?  If
not, is it safe to just overwrite all the ver 22.3 files, directories,
etc. with the equivalent ver. 23 ones. I tried to use my old .emacs with
23.1 but it wouldn't work because of (ucs-tables) in my .emacs.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the code. I may have to postpone any more study
of it until I dare to move everything to ver. 23.

No it is not safe.  If you want to experiment with such an approach, put
the newer files in the site-lisp directory.

But as far as I know, there are no dependencies in that code on version
23 -- in fact, there couldn't be, as I am running 22.3 as well and
tested it successfully.

You should be able to wrap that in a defun and put it in your emacs as is.
What happened when you tried?

Is this doable? I want to assign this function to some keychord but am
not sure what would be suitable (in keeping with traditional key
assignment philosophy). I have standard binding for almost every thing
but single character cursor movement. Is there a way of getting a list
of all key combos (and/or ranges of key combos) that are not currently
bound?
From the Keymaps node of the Emacs manual:

,----
|    As a user, you can redefine any key; but it is usually best to stick
| to key sequences that consist of `C-c' followed by a letter (upper or
| lower case).  These keys are "reserved for users," so they won't
| conflict with any properly designed Emacs extension.  The function keys
| <F5> through <F9> are also reserved for users.  If you redefine some
| other key, your definition may be overridden by certain extensions or
| major modes which redefine the same key.

`----

It may be overridden but from what I know now it probably won't be. For
instance  if I type (at random) C-h k and then C-M S-h I find that the
shifted combo has been translated to C-M h but C-h S-k (C-h K)isn't
translated to C-h k. If I avoid C-M combos and known prefixes (C-x, C-h,
and ESC) then most combos will be undefined (M-s, C-s, shifted versions
of these, and Alt combos if there are keyboards with both Alt and Meta).
Emacs didn't use to discriminate between shifted and unshifted combos
but now it seems to in many contexts.

I thought there might be a way to get the complement to the set of
defined key bindings. Maybe there is no easy way to do that.

If you want to use a binding that is "in keeping with traditional key
assignment philosophy", then use C-c LETTER.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA