Re: how to implement function copy-subword-to-irc-buffer

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: how to implement function copy-subword-to-irc-buffer
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 22:31:57 -0700

B. T. Raven wrote:
Kevin Rodgers wrote:
B. T. Raven wrote:
After connecting to server and channel I see:

and: Symbol's value as variable is void: rcirc-server-buffer

server buffer name is irc.dal.net:6667 in buffer list but
Atlanta.ga.us.dal.net in mode line. I suppose that mismatch is normal?
Nothing was copied out of dictionary buffer into channel buffer at point
(ERC>)

The version of rcirc.el distributed with Emacs 22.3 defvar's
rcirc-server-buffer, so it has a global value (nil) and buffer-local-value
will not signal an error (for any BUFFER argument).  This leads me to
conclude
that you have not loaded the 22.3 rcirc library, but some other IRC client.

In emacs -Q, `M-x rcirc' creates and selects a buffer named
*irc.freenode.net*;
it also creates a buffer named #rcirc@irc.freenode.net, where `C-h v
rcirc-server-buffer' yields #<buffer *irc.freenode.net*>.

How does that compare with your experience?

Okay. Your function does work if I use rcirc instead of erc. But since
there is no menu support for rcirc I don't know how to get slash
commands without /help. I did just learn C-u M-x rcirc. I'll try
changing from ERC to rcirc.

Or modify what I suggested to find and switch to an erc buffer instead
of an rcirc buffer.  Perhaps

        (or erc-active-buffer (car (erc-buffer-list)))

and

        (pop-to-buffer irc-buffer)

respectively.

--