Questions on charset encoding detection and keyboard layout

From: Hou, Ruoyu
Subject: Questions on charset encoding detection and keyboard layout
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:42:11 +0800

Hello,

I am a beginner to emacs and starting to experience some problems on multilingual editing. I just hope someone would kindly give me some hints. My main platform is NetBSD 5.0.1 running emacs23.1-gtk from pkgsrc.

1. My working environment involves handling documents with major eastern Asian characters in different encodings(GB2312, GB18030, BIG5, GBK, UTF-8, Shift-JIS, EUC-JP, ISO-2022-JP). My language environment was set as UTF-8, because I want all the documents *I create* saved as UTF-8, and properly display/edit/save other file in different encodings without changing the raw encodings. I noticed that my emacs was not properly recognizing documents encoded with euc-jp, so I have to manually set it every time I encounter such documents. Is there any configurations I could tweak to accurately auto-detect and display the file encodings I mentioned above? In most occasions, I don't have any a priori knowledge on what the exact encoding is in a given document.

From the manual I learnt that some encodings are not easily distinguishable one another. So I guess the setting would be delicate. Some gvim user mentioned that EUC-JP has to be located before GBK in encoding list to get appropriate result.

2. I'm using a computer with Japanese keyboard layout(a 84-key notebook variant of jp-106). When using emacs in X GUI mode, the language conversion keys (<henkan>, <muhenkan>, <hirakana/katakana>, etc.) respond perfectly in echo area, so I can bind some key macros to toggle Japanese input method. However, when I start emacs -nw in say uxterm, those keys are not echoed.

Frankly, I prefer to run emacs in non-GUI mode for faster response on my old notebook. I'm wondering if I could also configure those conversion keys to work the same as in GUI mode. Do I have to changing any settings in X or emacs? Is there anyone experiencing a similar situation?

I have to confess that I do not have much experiences in emacs after switching my work platform to open source softwares, and as a somewhat busy benchwork biologist I probably missed some homework I should have done before asking. I would appreciate any hints or reference readings. Thanks for any attention.

Regards,
--
Hou, Ruoyu

Laboratory of Reproductive & Stem Cell Biology,
College of Life Science & Biotech.,
Shanghai Jiao Tong University,
Shanghai 200240, P.R.China.