Re: Questions on charset encoding detection and keyboard layout

From: Hou, Ruoyu
Subject: Re: Questions on charset encoding detection and keyboard layout
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:42:39 +0800

Dear Zaretskii,

I tried the tip you gave me, but now I've got my GBK-encoded files unreadable. How you would solve the problem?

Moreover, as I mentioned in the previous post, how could I set a prefer-coding-system without beforehand knowledge about the encoding I am supposed to encounter?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:42:11 +0800
From: "Hou, Ruoyu" <phoenixhou@gmail.com>

1. My working environment involves handling documents with major eastern Asian characters in different encodings(GB2312, GB18030, BIG5, GBK, UTF-8, Shift-JIS, EUC-JP, ISO-2022-JP). My language environment was set as UTF-8, because I want all the documents *I create* saved as UTF-8, and properly display/edit/save other file in different encodings without changing the raw encodings. I noticed that my emacs was not properly recognizing documents encoded with euc-jp, so I have to manually set it every time I encounter such documents. Is there any configurations I could tweak to accurately auto-detect and display the file encodings I mentioned above?

Try putting this in your ~/.emacs init file (and restart Emacs after
that):

 (prefer-coding-system 'euc-jp)

--
Hou, Ruoyu

Laboratory of Reproductive & Stem Cell Biology,
College of Life Science & Biotech.,
Shanghai Jiao Tong University,
Shanghai 200240, P.R.China.