Re: Multiple Major Modes

From: Joseph Brenner
Subject: Re: Multiple Major Modes
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:19:26 -0800

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Joseph Brenner <doom@kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

>> I don't know anything about mumamo: mmm-mode works well enough that I've
>> never seen any need to try any of the other ways.

Actually, mmm-mode seems to have a lot of problems with cvs emacs
these days.  I was asking Alan Shutko about it, and he offered to
make me the maintainer... I can't see taking on the job myself just
now though (I know nothing about "overlays" except what it says in
the elisp reference manual).

> Thanks for the answer Joseph. I just added some support for Mason
> files to mumamo. It is not perfect (surprise! and there is an
> indentation bug currently - those are very resistent to treatment),

[...]

> When you are in a Mason file turn do
>
>   M-x mason-html-mumamo-mode

I've tried this, and I'm seeing syntax coloring in the HTML sections, but
none in the perl sections.  Is that about what you expected?

> to test it. (BTW, what file extensions do Mason files normally have?)

The currently recommended Mason file extensions are *.mhtml for internal
components, and *.html for external ones:

http://www.masonhq.com/?FAQ:ServerConfiguration#h-what_filename_extensions_should_i_use_for_mason_components_

That means, of course that the file extension alone gives you no way to
distinguish between a plain html file and a top-level Mason file.

Also there are other, older conventions: I've seen *.mc and *.mas in use
(*.mas was used in the O'Reilly book on Mason).