Re: Multiple Major Modes

From: Joe Brenner
Subject: Re: Multiple Major Modes
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:57:59 -0800

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Joseph Brenner <doom@kzsu.stanford.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Thanks for the answer Joseph. I just added some support for Mason
> >> files to mumamo. It is not perfect (surprise! and there is an
> >> indentation bug currently - those are very resistent to treatment),
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> When you are in a Mason file turn do
> >>
> >>   M-x mason-html-mumamo-mode
> >
> > I've tried this, and I'm seeing syntax coloring in the HTML sections, but
> > none in the perl sections.  Is that about what you expected?
>

> I always expect some unexpected problems ... ;-)
>
> But, no, it should of course do syntax coloring etc in the perl
> sections too. Maybe I have misunderstood something. Can you give me an
> example, please?

I tried to reproduce it to take a screen shot, but now it's working okay
for me.  Previously I was seeing a perl section in two-tone, with just
the html areas colorized.

So this is a problem that only comes up after my emacs has been running
for awhile (some of my other mumamo experiments have been locking up
emacs, so I've had to do more fresh restarts than I normally would...).

> >> to test it. (BTW, what file extensions do Mason files normally have?)
> >
> > The currently recommended Mason file extensions are *.mhtml for internal
> > components, and *.html for external ones:
> >

> > http://www.masonhq.com/?FAQ:ServerConfiguration#h-what_filename_extensions_should_i_use_for_mason_components_
> >
> > That means, of course that the file extension alone gives you no way to
> > distinguish between a plain html file and a top-level Mason file.
>
> Thanks. I am a bit surprised by the second convention.

The reasoning seems to be that the client is asking for html, and that's
what you're going to deliver to them... the fact that Mason is used to
generate the html is an internal detail there's no point in bothering
them with.