Re Best way to use org-mode as a work log

From: Steve Revilak
Subject: Re Best way to use org-mode as a work log
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:51:44 -0500

ethandbrown> I've been an emacs user since about 1990, but have just
ethandbrown> recently discovered org-mode.  It seems as if it would be
ethandbrown> very well suited to use as my work log--I currently just
ethandbrown> use a regular text file.

A few months ago, I began using org-mode as a combinatin work log and
calendar.  Before org-mode, I used a plain text file.

As a work log, I like org-mode a lot.  It's a fantastic piece of
software.

Here are the org-mode-specific portions of my ~/.emacs.

(setq
 org-clock-into-drawer nil
 org-tags-column 60)
(define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(defun sr-org-boot ()
  ;; interactive, in case I start emacs before mounting /path/to
(interactive) (let ((f "/path/to/work.org"))
    (cond ((file-exists-p f)
           (setq org-agenda-files (list f))
           (appt-activate 1)
           (org-agenda-list)
           (org-agenda-to-appt))))
  )

tomas> I'm using it at the moment as a work log (one
tomas> top-level entry per day, one second-level entry within each day
tomas> for each task, with a :PROPERTIES: drawer within it, stating,
tomas> among other things which customer/project/subproject to bill
tomas> the working time to), but I'm still unsure whether this is the
tomas> right way to use Org.

I use a similar system -- a top level for months, a second level for
days, an a third level for tasks within each day.  I clock and tag
everything at the third level.

maus.david> You may take a look at Worg, "a set of Org files
maus.david> collectively edited by people who like Org-mode and want
maus.david> to share tutorials, ideas, code snippets, etc."
maus.david> http://orgmode.org/worg/

Worg is a great resource, as are the tutorials on
<http://orgmode.org/>.  One of the tutorials is a 45 minute video of
Carsten Dominik giving a tech-talk at Google:
<http://orgmode.org/GoogleTech.html>.  If you have 45 minutes to
spare, the talk is a nice introduction to org-mode, and the philosophy
behind it.

Steve