Buffer-specific background color

From: Colin Williams
Subject: Buffer-specific background color
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 16:39:04 -0500

I want to set the background color for a specific buffer, but I can't get it to work quite right.  I am able to alter the color of the background for the face default using (face-remap-add-relative 'default :background "#F9F9F9"), but if the text ends before the end of the buffer, so does the differing color.  By contrast, (set-face-attribute 'default (selected-frame) :background "#F9F9F9") will set the color for the whole buffer, but every other buffer in the frame as well.  Is there a way to set the entire background of just the current buffer?

Colin