Re: Using Emacs Lisp for script writing

From: Frank Fredstone
Subject: Re: Using Emacs Lisp for script writing
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:35:17 -0800

Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:

> Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> I already use 'emacs -batch' for scripting where no user input is used,
>> but I would like to use it also for interactive scripting. Until now I
>> did not find any usable information about this. Anybody using Emacs for
>> interactive scripts?
>
> I use clisp for all scripting, interactive and not.
> Common Lisp is more powerful than Emacs Lisp and clisp is faster than emacs.

One thing I like about emacs for batch text processing is that you can
search forward for something and then search backward from there for
the text to process, which can be quicker than creating a parser
grammar or encoding one in code using lists and variables. So, unless
there is a regular expression library for common lisp that provides
backward search capabilites, that might be a reason to prefer emacs in
some cases.