Re: Using Emacs Lisp for script writing

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Using Emacs Lisp for script writing
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:51:01 +1100

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> It is not a big deal, but when the script is put on another system and
> on this system clisp is in another location, the script has to be
> modified (or a link has to be created). But halving the execution time
> is important enough.

There is a trick used by other scripting languages to get around the
issue of the script interpreter being in a different location and for
those systems which only handle 30 characters in the #! line

#!/bin/sh
# the next line restarts using the interpreter foobar \
exec foobar "$0" "$@"

I wonder if something like this cold work. The problem I see is that
clisp would have to be told to ignore these lines and only start
evaluating code from the line following the exec. I'm not familiar
enough with the lisp reader to know. the other problem is that if it
needed changes to the reader, then those changes would also need to be
on the host you attempt to run this one, so unless it was a standard
feature, it probably woldn't buy much.

just thinking out loud.....

Tim

--