Re: Spell checking too slow on Emacs.app

From: Tom Dye
Subject: Re: Spell checking too slow on Emacs.app
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:57:18 -1000

On 2009-12-29 08:16:40 -1000, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> said:

On 2009-12-29 16:57 +0000, Tom Dye wrote:
Did this problem find a solution? emacs 22 on OS X has a speedy spell
check. emacs 23 on OS X has a slooow spell check. Aspell takes minutes
between words and ispell (from MacPorts) takes several times longer
than aspell did under emacs 22.

All the best,
Tom

I doubt that.

The problem with ns port is that there is only one major developer for
it - Adrian Robert. And unfortunately it is not as solid as on
GNU/Linux. I usually try to find a workaround while waiting for a fix.
For spellings, I disable flyspell mode and call ispell-buffer maybe once
in a month. This is far from ideal though.

Leo

Thanks Leo. It helps to know the problem is beyond my control. ispell is quick and fairly easy to use from the command line in case you want to check spelling more than once a month. It's a bit of a hassle to remember to save the buffer before the spell check and then revert the buffer after the check, but even with those steps its way quicker than trying to check spelling within emacs.

Topm
--
Tom Dye
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.