Re: bzr emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: bzr emacs
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:17:58 +0100

Cena  Mayo <cenazoic@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Cena,

> Yes, I su'ed the install and there is an emacs in /usr/local/bin; /usr/
> bin IS in my path.  (echo $PATH=
> /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin).

Yeah, /usr/bin is in your PATH, but not /usr/local/bin.  (BTW, /sbin and
/usr/sbin/ should not be in your normal user's path).  So add

  export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

to your ~/.bashrc (or whatever shell you're using).

> However, attempting to run the emacs in /usr/local/bin, although
> clearly 'there', also results in a 'emacs: command not found.'

How do you run it there?  Even when you are in /usr/local/bin, you have
to start it with ./emacs.  Have a look at this Q&A, which sounds similar
to your problem [1].  If you ask yourself why you cannot execute a
program or script in the current directory by only giving it's name,
read [2] to figure out how you can do that, but also why you don't want
to do so.

Bye,
Tassilo
[1] http://www.computing.net/answers/linux/run-shell-script-on-linux/28735.html