delete key in emacsclient xterm

From: Richard Riley
Subject: delete key in emacsclient xterm
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 03:22:51 +0100

On a Debian system when I examine the delete key (not backspace or <-) key in
the Gnus summary buffer of an XTERM emacsclient I see:-

,----
| <deletechar> runs the command delete-char, which is an interactive
| built-in function in `C source code'.
|
| It is bound to <deletechar>.
|
| (delete-char N &optional KILLFLAG)
`----

However the same key in an X emacsclient gives:-

,----
| <delete> runs the command gnus-summary-prev-page, which is an
| interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum.el'.
|
| It is bound to <delete>, DEL, A DEL, A <delete>, A p, <menu-bar>
| <Gnus> <Scroll article> <Page backward>.
`----

Can this be solved with an .Xresources change or some kind of remapping
inside emacs?

I google around but most of the "solutions" were to do with backspace
(del left) rather the delete (del right) key.

(Emacs 23 from CVS)