Re: Very simple IDE for programming newbie

From: Sean McAfee
Subject: Re: Very simple IDE for programming newbie
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:10:38 -0500

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:
> Also, for non-interactive programs, you can do it at once with:
>
> M-x compile RET C-e && ./this-file RET

Hmm, good idea.  I'm trying to look ahead to when we get to
interactive programs too, though.

> You don't have to wait for the end of the compilation to browse the
> errors.  Otherwise, just watch the status bar of the *compilation*
> window, it will say (Compilation:exit [<status-code>]) when done.

I know; my question was how to a) know when the asynchronous
compilation process has finished, and b) tell whether there were any
errors, so that if there were none, I can immediately launch the
newly-compiled program in a terminal emulator.

I think the terminal emulator would be preferable to shell-mode, since
in the former case there's only one keystroke that could introduce
some confusion (C-c) and in the latter case there are many.