Re: Copy/Paste from console emacs client

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Copy/Paste from console emacs client
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:45:30 +0100

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> OK, <deep breath>, I've been trying to get some half sensible cut/paste
> going with emacs (x and console) and other apps.
>
> The one that has me stumped is uing M-w to copy in console emacs - why
> can than not be made the primary and clipboard X contents if X is
> running? The issue is that the interprogram cut function calls
> x-select-text which determines that the emacs frame is not X and
> therefore does not set the X buckets.
>
> Is there an easy way around this? It seems (to me who is tired and
> confused) that it would be better to just set the X buckets if X is
> running, not if the emacs itself is an x frame.
>
> (I am running emacsclient -nw in urxvt)
>
> regards
>
> r.

This thread (not Ubuntu specific) discusses the issues quite well :

The first, probably naive, solution that comes to mind is for emacs to
use xclip or equiv even IF the frame is not an X frame IF it detects X is
running. I guess that  might mean linking to x libraries or something
and thus make it impossible? Reading the millions of queries about the
same thing makes me think I'm being too hopeful and just need to bite
the bullet and use the horrible mouse selection technique.